Monday, April 25, 2016

Meat Puppets: Two unpublished drawings




I was obsessed with the Meat Puppets in high school. For five years, I listened to Meat Puppets II daily. It became a ritual. To this day, it's an album that I know inside out like no other. I even submitted a proposal to the 33 1/3 series to write a book about Meat Puppets II, but I was rejected. I have at least three entertaining stories that I could tell about my encounters with the Meat Puppets over the years, but today I'm only sharing a couple of Meat Puppets drawings. 

I ran across the above drawing a few weeks ago. In fact, I forgot that I even had it, but I rediscovered it while randomly perusing my vinyl. Tucked away in the sleeve of my copy of the Meat Puppets' first album was this ballpoint-pen-and-ink drawing on notebook paper. I received it long ago after writing a fan letter to the Meat Puppets. This drawing was their reply. No note—just this drawing.

The drawing most likely was made by Cris Kirkwood, the Meat Puppets' bassist. It looks like his style. Both Cris and Curt Kirkwood are visual artists. Curt painted many of the Meat Puppets' album covers, and Cris has an art website now where you can buy his drawings and watercolor paintings. Original drummer Derrick Bostrom is an excellent writer who has a website called Bostworld.

When the Meat Puppets played at the Cabaret Metro in Chicago on the Huevos tour, I asked Cris to autograph my copy of the promotional 12" of "I Am a Machine." He drew a picture on the reverse of the picture sleeve, and his creation is shown at right.

The cartoon shows a piglike creature with a speech bubble that says, "Wipe!" After Cris signed my 12", he handed it to me and said, "As in 'don't forget to.'" Good advice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment