Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Neal McCoy fan club coffee mugs: Where my morning begins





Today's Music Weird is frivolous. 

I found these two Neal McCoy fan club coffee mugs from 2002 and 2004 at a thrift store for 50¢ each. McCoy, if you don't know, is a country star from Texas who scored over 20 country hits, including two #1 singles, in the late '80s and '90s. 

These aren't just Neal McCoy signature coffee mugs; they're also M-Ware Sante Fe Campfire mugs, which are my favorite coffee mugs. I have a collection of these mugs with various product, company, and destination logos on them. 

I've been enjoying drinking my coffee from these mugs each morning as I recall McCoy's 1992 song "Where Forever Begins"—one of the sleaziest, most cynical come-on songs of all time. 

It was also McCoy's first Top 40 hit in the US. It squeaked into the Top 40 in both the US and Canada. 

The best thing about the song is that people who don't listen closely to the lyrics think that it's a love song and play it at weddings and stuff. Come on, people.  

The chorus goes like this:

"If your idea of 'forever' is a string of one-night stands, 
then, darling, this is where forever begins." 






No comments:

Post a Comment